Monday 12 May 2014

DIY Body Scrubs: Mother's Day Gifts

Hey, everyone!

Every year is a dilemma for me when it comes to buying gifts for Mother's Day. This year, though, I decided to do something different and creative. Instead of buying gifts, I made them. :D

I had 3 people to give gifts to, so I chose to make body scrubs using ingredients from the kitchen. I decided on body scrubs because these women care for their skin and enjoy pampering themselves. After all, which woman doesn't want her skin to feel and look good? ;)

For many months, I have searched and found loads of interesting and simple recipes online. I made note of the recipes I liked, tested them, then customised them to how I like them. I have been making these homemade specialties along with many other homemade stuff mostly for myself and as gifts. 

They're excellent for your own use and as gifts for many reasons:

1. You control the ingredients in these items (you choose what goes in them).
2. They are incredibly economical (so much cheaper than store-bought products).
3. They contain mostly natural, healthy ingredients (you can literally eat these scrubs).
4. They are so much FUN to make! (some people find shopping therapeutic.. my therapy is making these DIY stuff)

I made 3 types for 3 very special women this Mother's Day:

1. Choco Sugar Scrubalicious
2. Lemon and Thyme Salt Scrubalicious
3. Earthy Honey Scrubalicious

Once I made the body scrubs, I put them into airtight jars that I carefully selected for this occasion.




The ingredients are mostly as listed:
  • Sugar (white and brown)
  • Salt
  • Honey
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Coconut Oil
  • Cocoa Powder
  • Artificial Food Colouring (they don't stain the skin)
  • Artificial Food Flavours

Then, I made labels with their names and a small set of instructions. I tied each jar with a ribbon and label. And they were good to go!! :)


It's easier than it sounds, but making these handmade gifts requires interest/passion, time, and patience. I went through many trial-and-error experiments before coming up with just the right mixes. Some of the scrubs that I've been making last up to 6 months! How awesome is that?! 

A special note of thanks to my partner for being very patient all these months, and for being a great sport allowing me to test them on him! Thank you, baby! :D

I gave these gifts to these wonderful women today. Needless to say, they were very happy that the gifts were personalised, and made with love and care just for them. I gave the Lemon and Thyme Salt Scrubalicious to my aunt this evening. She tried it as soon as she went back home and called me full of excitement to tell me that she used it and was very happy with it! She has dry skin and said that the scrub was easy to use, moisturising, and just as good (if not better) than store-bought ones!! YAYYY!!! :D

It makes me very happy that she was extremely satisfied with my handmade gift for her!

If you have the interest, time, and patience, you could do it too. These homemade body scrubs make excellent gifts for any occasion!


I hope you enjoy this tip as much as I enjoyed making them and sharing them with you.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *

To all mothers on Earth and in Heaven, may everyday be a celebration of your endless love, care, and support. We, your children, cannot thank you enough and are eternally grateful for everything you've done (and are still doing). We love you very much.

Until my next update, be good, be safe, and have a wonderful week ahead, my lovelies! :) xoxo

Signing off...

~ Lil' Missy ~

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your lovely gift darling ............ waiting to try it out , the choco flavour is so tempting just cannot wait to use it ..... will let you know results ........... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, aunty! I hope you like it too. Sure thing. :) xoxo

      Delete